Yes honey, it’s my birthday! Cue the party music! This year has flown by and I can’t believe I’m 40 already! Eek! When I was younger I would wish for 40 because I just knew I’d be retired by then. Ha! So much for that. The whole retirement thing may not have worked out, but there are a few things I’ve learned along the way that I want to share with you. And I’m sharing some special news too, but you’ll have to wait until the end… ;)
So here are the 40 things I’ve learned in my 40 years….and in no real order of importance.
- People are innately good. Always see the best in others.
- Traditional ways of working don’t work. Go into an office for what?
- Motherhood is unconditional love on steroids.
- True friendship is not about convenience. Show up for the people you love and call “friend”.
- People use the word “friend” and “love” way too loosely.
- You can be paid for work you genuinely love to do. This includes shopping. I could use a personal shopper.
- Corporate America is not for everyone.
- It’s okay to say what’s on your mind, everyone else was thinking it anyway.
- People put way too much information on social media.
- Degrees don’t necessarily outweigh experience.
- Expectations are bullshit.
- Prioritize the people you love before you say yes to what someone else wants you to do.
- No one will take care of your child like you. Stop expecting it and you might actually leave the house.
- Your parents aren’t always right.
- Food can be an addiction. Have you seen the line at Chick-Fil-A?
- Give freely, not for recognition or out of obligation.
- Payment for services does not guarantee satisfaction.
- Say “I love you” to the important people in your life.
- Don’t say yes to things because you think you should in order to get something you think you want.
- You can’t share your dreams with everyone, even the people you think you should be able to share them with.
- When life gets too hard, pray hard.
- God always keeps His promises whether you deserve them or not.
- Don’t watch TV. Read instead.
- Be intentional about everything you do.
- Be fully engaged in your life. Stop worrying about everyone else’s.
- Go to church every Sunday.
- People lie. And for no reason.
- Pursue what you love to do first, worry about money later.
- Always be gracious and humble.
- Travel to a far away place by yourself at least once.
- Live yoga on and off the mat.
- Marriage is hard, but totally worth it.
- Never buy a Louis Vuitton Neverfull bag. You’ll never know which one is yours.
- Do the thing you’ve always wanted to do even if it doesn’t make sense. It might later.
- Make friends with other couples.
- Have multiple pairs of skinny jeans.
- Wear Spanx and heels.
- Not everything is worth discussing.
- Write everyday. Literal pen to paper, typing doesn’t count!
- Drink wine. Red wine specifically.
Whew! That’s it! That’s all I know, today anyway….And now to my special surprise!
My journal is almost here. Saw the initial mock-ups and I’m super excited! The content in this journal will truly change your life. Stay close to the website so you don’t miss the launch, and I will of course keep you in the loop via email. I’ll also host a webinar too so you can see it live and in person.
Photo credit: Photography by Ashley Stephenson
+ show Comments
(review Comment Policy)
- Hide Comments
add a comment