40 Things I’ve Learned in 40 Years
Yes honey, it’s my birthday! Cue the party music! This year has flown by and I can’t believe I’m 40 already! Eek! When I was younger I would wish for 40 because I just knew I’d be retired by then. Ha! So much for that. The whole retirement thing may not have worked out, but there are a few things I’ve learned along the way that I want to share with you. And I’m sharing some special news too, but you’ll have to wait until the end… ;)
So here are the 40 things I’ve learned in my 40 years….and in no real order of importance.
- People are innately good. Always see the best in others.
- Traditional ways of working don’t work. Go into a office for what?
- Motherhood is unconditional love on steroids.
- True friendship is not about convenience. Show up for the people you love and call “friend”.
- People use the word “friend” and “love” way too loosely.
- You can be paid for work you genuinely love to do. This includes shopping. I could use a personal shopper.
- Corporate America is not for everyone.
- It’s okay to say what’s on your mind, everyone else was thinking it anyway.
- People put way too much information on social media.
- Degrees don’t necessarily outweigh experience.
- Expectations are bullshit.
- Prioritize the people you love before you say yes to what someone else wants you to do.
- No one will take care of your child like you. Stop expecting it and you might actually leave the house.
- Your parents aren’t always right.
- Food can be an addiction. Have you seen the line at Chick-Fil-A?
- Give freely, not for recognition or out of obligation.
- Payment for services does not guarantee satisfaction.
- Say “I love you” to the important people in your life.
- Don’t say yes to things because you think you should in order to get something you think you want.
- You can’t share your dreams with everyone, even the people you think you should be able to share them with.
- When life gets too hard, pray hard.
- God always keeps His promises whether you deserve them or not.
- Don’t watch TV. Read instead.
- Be intentional about everything you do.
- Be fully engaged in your life. Stop worrying about everyone else’s.
- Go to church every Sunday.
- People lie. And for no reason.
- Pursue what you love to do first, worry about money later.
- Always be gracious and humble.
- Travel to a far away place by yourself at least once.
- Live yoga on and off the mat.
- Marriage is hard, but totally worth it.
- Never buy a Louis Vuitton Neverfull bag. You’ll never know which one is yours.
- Do the thing you’ve always wanted to do even if it doesn’t make sense. It might later.
- Make friends with other couples.
- Have multiple pairs of skinny jeans.
- Wear Spanx and heels.
- Not everything is worth discussing.
- Write everyday. Literal pen to paper, typing doesn’t count!
- Drink wine. Red wine specifically.
Whew! That’s it! That’s all I know, today anyway….And now to my special surprises!
It’s Prelaunch Day for Workaholic Uprising™!
The full program won’t be available until January 1st, but you can purchase now for a limited time at the hugely discounted price of $199! The regular price in January will be $499. Go here to learn all about the program and purchase. You can also join me for a live Q&A webinar here.
Special News #2!
My journal is almost here. Saw the initial mock ups and I’m super excited!The content in this journal will truly change your life. Stay close to the website so you don’t miss the launch, and I will of course keep you in the loop via email. I’ll also host a webinar too so you can see it live and in person.
There’s a lot happening at The Collaborative so keep up with us on the website and social media!
Photo credit: Photography by Ashley Stephenson
Like this post?
Subscribe to never miss a post and get my ebook, 31 ways to jumpstart a balanced blood sugar and cleanse your body naturally, delivered to your inbox for free!
You'll get my weekly updates and can easily change your preferences at any time.